Heavy or hard-packed snow and ice on a gas meter could present a condition that temporarily stops the flow of natural gas or creates indoor natural gas buildup.
Stay safe by using these tips:
- Make sure your meter is visible at all times and accessible for maintenance and emergency responders, including Columbia Gas service personnel, meter readers and firefighters
- Never let snow completely cover your meter
- Use caution when using a shovel around your meter; don’t shovel snow up against your meter
- Where possible, use a broom instead of a shovel to clear snow away from the meter
- Take care using a snow blower or plow near your meter
- Never kick or hit the gas meter or its piping to break away built-up snow or ice. Remove the snow or ice with your hands
If your gas meter is completed encased in ice, or you think there is a potential problem with the piping or equipment, call our 24-hour emergency line at 1-888-460-4332.