Follow these simple tips to safely heat your home and stay safe and warm this winter:
- Use caution when using supplementary heating devices such as space heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces. While supplemental heating devices can help to keep your home warm, they can create a high incidence of fire and other dangers.
- Clean buildup in wood-burning devices and chimneys.
- Burn only wood in fireplaces or stoves.
- Keep space heaters three feet from furniture, curtains, clothing and other combustibles.
- Turn space heaters off if leaving the room.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Do not use your stove or oven as a heating source.
- Regularly have your furnace inspected.
- Remember that supplemental heating devices should not replace your home’s heating system.