Be alert for carbon monoxide

We care about your safety, and it’s important for you to know the risks of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, natural gas, propane or oil) burn incompletely. Even though natural gas doesn’t contain carbon monoxide, it can be produced when there’s not enough oxygen present for natural gas, oil, or any other fuel to burn properly.

Know the symptoms

With carbon monoxide poisoning, you may experience flu-like symptoms including headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing or feeling ill. If carbon monoxide is present in your home, you may feel tired at home, but fine when away from home.

What to do if you think you carbon monoxide is present

Step 1

Leave the area to get to fresh air and call 911

If your carbon monoxide detector alarm sounds and/or you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, leave the area to get to fresh air and immediately call 911.

Step 2

Always call

If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector but you have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, always leave the area to get to fresh air and immediately call 911.

Step 3

Do not go back in until repairs are made

It is not safe to re-enter the area until emergency responders identify the cause and allow you to go back inside. In some cases, emergency responders will turn off the source of the carbon monoxide but you will be responsible for repairs of that appliance or issue.


How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Buy and install carbon monoxide detectors; some models double as smoke detectors
  • Ensure you have a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your property and in every room where someone sleeps
  • Regularly test your carbon monoxide detectors and replace the batteries and/or detectors as needed
  • Have qualified professionals check that your fuel-burning appliances are installed, adjusted and operating properly
  • Never install a furnace where someone sleeps
  • Ensure all fuel-burning appliances are provided with a supply of fresh air by making sure they are installed and inspected by a qualified professional
  • Provide adequate ventilation in your home when using stoves, fireplaces or unvented space heaters
  • Never use a stove or oven as a source of heat in your home; ovens are designed to heat food and should only be operated with the door closed
  • Ensure your appliances are installed in accordance with local building codes and manufacturer's instructions and specifications
  • Don’t burn charcoal or run a generator indoors or in an enclosed space
  • Clean your chimney and check for blockage at least once a year before using your fireplace
  • Open the garage door before starting your vehicle

Watch this video about the hidden dangers of carbon monoxide

View Transcript

Stay safe from Carbon Monoxide. Install CO detectors. Never run a generator indoors. Never leave your car running in your garage. Make sure your gas appliances and chimney are serviced annually. Columbia Gas A NiSource Company

More safety tips
Family eating breakfast in kitchen together

Safe Appliance Installation

Get installation tips for common natural gas appliances and find a contractor to help with your installation.

Learn More

Contractor performing maintenance on a natural gas furnace

Care for Your Appliances

Your appliances need regular care. Get quick tips about maintaining your appliances.

Read the Tips

Man looking at venting in home

Proper Venting

All natural gas appliances require proper ventilation to bring fresh air to the appliance and to safely vent exhaust gases out of the building.

Read More

Have an emergency?

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, have carbon monoxide symptoms or have some other emergency situation, go outside and call 911 and then call us at 1-888-460-4332.