What to do with your natural gas service during flooding

Flooding can damage your natural gas lines and appliances, causing a safety hazard. Here’s what to do if flooding affects your home or business:

  • In the event of a flood, turn off electrical power to each appliance and leave it off
  • If the natural gas is shut off at the meter, call us to turn it back on for you
  • If water levels were high enough to cover the gas meter, call us to check your meter and regulator before using your gas appliances. Floodwaters may have shifted your home or caused other stresses, possibly resulting in a natural gas leak
  • If your appliances have been impacted by flooding, do not attempt to place natural gas appliances back in service yourself. A qualified professional should check, clean, repair and test all gas appliances and pipes

If you smell natural gas after a flood:

Stop what you're doing

Stop what you’re doing

Don't smoke or light a match. Don't open the windows. Don’t use anything that could cause a spark, like a phone, light switch, appliance or flashlight. Don’t start your car or use your garage door to leave.

Leave the area

Leave the area immediately

If you're inside, get out immediately. If you're outside, leave the area quickly.

Call us and 911

Call 911 and us

From a safe location, away from the building, call 911 and our emergency number at 1-888-460-4332 and wait for crews to arrive.


More safety tips
Contractor working on a hot water tank

Find a Contractor

Don't DIY. Find a qualified professional to help you maintain your natural gas appliances.

Read More

Family in kitchen together

Appliance Safety

Learn how to safely care for your natural gas appliances over time and how to have natural gas appliances safely installed in your home or business.

Get the Tips

Mother and daughter by fireplace

Carbon Monoxide

We care about your safety, and it’s important for you to know the risks of carbon monoxide.

Learn More

Have an emergency?

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, have carbon monoxide symptoms or have some other emergency situation, go outside and call 911 and then call us at 1-888-460-4332.